Monday 3 October 2016

MAPP skype meeting

It was great to be a brief part of yesterday's meeting.

This week I started to reflect on my past work experience and it has taken me on a huge journey of realisation that my view and basic level of reflection has previously been an exploration of negatives only.  

I previously saw reflection as a two dimensional, similar to a mirror image.  I looked at the negatives and how I could make improvements, rather than viewing things in four dimensions and also looking at the positives and why they were positive.  

There was discussion yesterday about finding answers through means of interviews and whether altering structures of interviews could/should deliver the answers or facilitate the researcher in finding the answers.  This relates closely to my reflection process, if I continually ask myself the same questions, a pattern in one area may emerge but to be able to analyse my own performance as a whole, I must structure my questions carefully to gain information that is rounded and conducive to finding those answers.  My reflections should have more than 4 dimensions but I am not yet sure how many.

This week I will look at the structure of my reflective journal, it's dimensions and whether it should be continually reviewed to help me reflect effectively.



2 comments:

  1. I also, and still do at times, struggle with being positive in my reflections. I think it's caught up in the whole dancer thing and particularly Ballet. The great thing about this course is it allows you to find a new way of looking at dance and life and how it is all interconnected. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is food for thought. When teaching ballet diagnosing faults is a huge part of our daily work but the positive is the prescription we give the student based on our diagnosis and also the research we do to provide better prescriptions. Through balanced reflection I am realising that part of the key to progression is identifying strengths and building on those just as much as trying to eliminate weakness. It's a matter of a couple of weeks in but I am really enjoying the process.

      Delete