Tuesday 4 October 2016

Reflective journal structure

'To engage in reflective practice, people need a sense of security' (Osterman and Kottkamp, 2004: 68).

Continually evaluating my performance will improve the quality and progression of my own learning but I am finding this process to be very exposing.

Keeping a reflective journal to record and understand both skills that I have acquired and secured through prior experiences and also recognising skills that may need honing to make further progress in my learning is both helpful and essential to my progress.

In creating a structure for my journal and beginning to record events/incidents in a thorough and organised way, I am unable to skirt over or ignore areas of my work that I am either not good at or do not find interesting and/or enjoyable. Without structure it is easy to be selective in your thought process and deny yourself of a balanced view.

To evolve as a learner, structured and balanced reflecting must be a continual process throughout the MAPP programme and my future career.



1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog helped me relate journaling to keeping clippings or other records of our accomplishments in our careers. The difference is that a playbill, program, flyer, of newspaper article is typically how others perceive what we do or the way we hope others interpret our accomplishments. Writing a diary/journal feels awkward as it makes me feel like I am creating a marketing hype for my everyday activities or perhaps less marketing but certainly invading space I try to keep private from my professional life. I hope we can chat about this process as we explore this journal process and reflection through this course.

    ReplyDelete